Sunday, March 18, 2012

Growing

   This was the weekend of garden 2012. I had to make it good because, as we all know, it's my last chance! Stupid Myans... some of these are biennials. Sigh. Anyway, this year I've gone very herby with a few veggies thrown in for good measure. Basically I can put everything I planted in my mouth. And that's a good thing. There's something so satisfying about growing your own food, it's very Little House on the Prairie but with a manicure. The list of yummy, as if any of you care, goes like this:

~ 3 types of tomatoes
~ 3 types of basil
~ 4 types of mint
~ 2 types of oregano
~ sweet peppers
~ aloe
~ rosemary
~ lavender
~ sage
~ cilantro
~ stevia
~ arugula
~ lemon balm

   Dinner everyone, will be served in a few weeks, promptly at 7pm. Anyone who likes to dead head, prune and water, come see me, we'll work out a trade. I am sun kissed and exhausted. The back porch is alive and feels absolutely wonderful, absolutely alive. Chris even got down and dirty with me. He helped me pot and plant this morning. Moving dirt and hefting pots takes it out of you. I managed to escape with only one blister and a splinter. Easy living.

    We enjoyed being lazy for a little while after that. Pain free domestic bliss. It's amazing how long I resisted the calm. I used to hate being home and my home reflected that. It was disorganized, dark and messy. Now, well, it's pretty much the same but I promise, I'm trying! Laundry get's done much more often, as do dishes and now I have this big leafy garden sitting proud, waiting to keep me patient and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! This sounds great. Can I be a dinner guest? I've started basil, cilantro, oregano, okra, mescaline, bush beans, bell pepper (not looking hot), sunflower, zinnia, and zucchini. Tomatoes will come soon. If nothing else, hopefully I'll have some pretty flowers to put on the table at dinner. :) I never think to write about what I plant, but you've inspired me. Thanks! I also already have rosemary, dried jalapeños, and a ground dried hot pepper mix from last year. It's super spicy so I'd be happy to share some of that, too.

    ReplyDelete