Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cease and Desist

There are laws written over my body 
that I don't recall scribing. I woke with them today
painted in blood 
telling me I was not myself. Had become theirs 
in a midnight where all my decisions were deemed 
unsuitable for consumption. Where they placed a baby 
in my arms and took away my credit card. 
Stared at my college degree like it was 
an eternity away from them.


 They want us smart enough to be mothers but 
not enough to be women. Somewhere between 
doormat and silent. Because when we're loud they 
call us crazy and when we're right they 
call us bitches because little boys get their 
feelings hurt when you take away their toys. 


Leave my decisions
to the cramp and intellect of my own skin and I promise, 
when I'm ready, 
I'll birth a sun so bright you'll have no choice but 
to see yourself for what you are. 


Darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment